Neil Young took time out to address a couple of rowdy fans during his July 3rd solo acoustic show at Detroit's Fox Theatre. According to Detroit Metro Times about 95 percent of the crowd was appreciative of how special the show was, but explained, "the other 5 percent bellowed song requests and 'Neil!' so loudly they caused him to abandon sharing some of his Detroit stories, leading to loud verbal altercations heard throughout the theatre and to Young sarcastically asking the audience who was the loudest man. Thankfully, the haunting piano versions did seem to stun the grey-haired bros into brief silence. But even though we live in an age when any intelligent person can hop online and see the likely setlist, aging bros reliving their bong-ripping college days bellowed out pointless requests for 'Rocking In The Free World' and 'My My Hey Hey.'"

Young posted a long letter to fans, titled "Rough Night" on his official website NeilYoungArchives.com, writing in part about the Detroit concert which had been streamed on his website:

It was the fourth of July holiday and some folks were celebrating, already high when they arrived at the show. Because it was a holiday, I could see it coming. They were focused on their celebration, kind of like a festival. . .

On night’s (sic) like last night in Detroit, It seems that the yellers are not with me. They are interested in celebrating their love of the music in another way. There is nothing wrong with that for them. They are having the time of their lives out there. Unfortunately for the audience, everyone else misses out on what might have happened while I am distracted by those celebrating their favorite song titles, yelling them as loud as they can. . .

Every time I got through this type of experience, part of me does not ever want to go through it again, yet it is a risk taken every time I walk out to a solo stage.